In these Terms and Conditions:
- “You” and “your” mean the individual requesting to receive statements and notices electronically.
- "We", "us" and "our" mean Manulife Bank of Canada.
- “Statements” means any statements delivered to you for any account you hold with us, including GIC confirmations.
- “e-statements” means any statements that are delivered to you electronically.
- “Notices” means important information related to your account, including information that we are required by law to send to you.
- “Online banking” means the online banking service offered at manulifebank.ca.
- “Email notification” means the email we send you when statements and notices are available for you to view.
- “Account(s)” means any accounts you have opened with Manulife Bank for any products that we offer.
Consent to receive statements and notices electronically
You consent to receive the following electronically through online banking rather than in paper form:
- Statements related to your account(s)
- Notices we are required by law to send to you in writing, including changes to your account terms and agreement and changes in fees applicable to your account(s).
You also consent to receive email notifications when statements or notices are available for you to view, at the email address you provided.
Your consent takes effect immediately once you opt into electronic delivery.
Understanding the electronic delivery process
You understand and acknowledge that:
- You can access e-statements currently in your statement archive through online banking.
- Important account information and certain notices may appear on the e-statements themselves or as a separate file in your statement list.
- If you provide a valid email address, we will send you an email notification when new e-statements or notices are available for you to view.
Email notifications will be sent to the email address you provide when you complete a new account application or update your statement preferences through online banking. You understand and agree that email is not secure or reliable, and may not be received promptly or at all.
The email notifications will never ask you for personal, login or account information or include any link to or attachment of your statements.
You agree to ensure that the email address you provided to Manulife Bank is correct and current. If our email notifications to you are undeliverable after three attempts, we will cease sending any future notifications. Your e-statements will still be available for you to view through online banking. If you would like to reactivate your notifications, you can do so by providing a valid email address and changing your notification preference back to email notification through online banking.
Changing your preferences
You can change the following preferences at any time:
Statement delivery preference: You can choose between receiving e-statements or paper statements. Depending on how close the date of the change is to your next statement date, you may receive one more statement or notice through your current delivery method. Subsequent statements and notices will be delivered through the delivery preference you have selected.
Notification preference: You can choose between receiving email notifications or no notification when an e-statement is ready for you to view. When you choose no notification, you agree to access online banking on a regular basis, at least monthly, to determine if a statement or notice has been provided to you.
Changes to these preferences can be made through online banking, by manulifebank.ca calling our customer service centre or mailing us at Manulife Bank, 500 King Street North, Waterloo, ON N2J 4C6.
Availability of e-statements and electronic notices
e-statements and electronic notices will be available for you to view for two years from the statement date, as long as:
- The statement delivery preference on your account is set to e-statements
- Your account remains open
- You continue to be registered for online banking.
It is your responsibility to print or save a copy of each e-statement or notice for your records while it is still available through online banking. Upon request, we can provide you with a paper copy of any statement you have received electronically at our standard fee, if applicable. We will keep a record of your statement for 15 years after your account closes.
e-statements and electronic notices are available in PDF format. You may need to install appropriate computer software in order to view them. We do not own or operate, and are not responsible for, any software you may use.
Paper statements and notices
We may send you paper statements and notices if we deem it necessary, for example if we are unable to provide them to you electronically.
Changes to these Terms and Conditions
We may update these Terms and Conditions from time to time. When a change is made, we will provide you with written or electronic notice. If you remain enrolled in e-statements after the change takes effect, we will consider this to mean that you have agreed to the updated Terms and Conditions.
Language (Quebec residents only)
You have expressly requested that this agreement and all related documents, including notices, be drawn up in the English language. Vous avez expressément demandé que ce contrat et tout document y afférent, y compris tout avis, soient rédigés en langue anglaise.
All agreements between you and Manulife Bank relating to the use of your account(s) continue to apply. These Terms and Conditions are considered an addition to any of these other terms or agreements.
We are not responsible or liable for any damage, loss or inconvenience you may incur in connection with the electronic delivery of statements and notices. This includes but is not limited to:
- Being unable to print, store or save an e-statement or electronic notice that has been provided to you.
- Being unable to access current or prior e-statements and electronic notices as a result of any failure, error or malfunction, even if the failure, error or malfunction was a result of our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or representatives.
We are not responsible if you do not receive an email notification from us. You agree to access online banking on a regular basis, at least monthly, to determine if a statement or notice has been provided to you. You are not relieved from any obligation you have under your account terms or agreement if you do not receive an email notification or if you are not able to access online banking.
Your obligations with respect to account verification continue to apply. If a transaction has been processed to your account in error, you must notify us within 30 days (10 days for GIC confirmations) of the statement date. We are not responsible for any damages or costs incurred by you as a result of your failure to review any e-statement or electronic notice.
This agreement will be governed by the laws of the province or territory where you reside and the laws of Canada, as applicable.
Providing verbal consent
If you have verbally consented to receive e-statements and electronic notices from us, you have agreed to these Terms and Conditions. If, after you have reviewed these Terms and Conditions, you no longer agree, you may revoke your consent as provided under “Revoking your consent” below.
Revoking your consent
You may revoke your consent to receive e-statements, electronic notices and email notifications from us at any time by updating your statement preferences through online banking, calling our customer service centre, or mailing us at Manulife Bank, 500 King Street North, Waterloo, ON N2J 4C6.
Revoking your consent takes effect immediately. However, depending on how close the date of the change is to your next statement date, you may receive one more statement or notice through your current delivery method. Subsequent statements and notices will be delivered through the delivery preference you have selected.